David Franklin, South Africa
1) Our civilisation is a suicidal one. It is literally destroying the foundations of its existence, and will shortly collapse. In the short term however, it has yielded tools and weapons of extraordinary power.
2) Clinging to this civilisation is a very silly thing to do. It is going down, no matter what. What we do still have a choice over is how this is achieved Ė is it going to be something that we (at least some of us) have chosen, or is it going to be a catastrophic collapse, where we are left dealing with chaotic fallout of industrial civilisation without industrial tools to clean the mess up?
3) In the long run, it really doesnít matter. Guns will rust or jam and there wonít be replacement parts, the mechanism of nukes will deteriorate, landmine explosives will degrade. Given a few centuries, the planet will be over the very worst. A few millennia and it will function ok again. A few million years, and the mess weíve made will largely be gone. The biosphere has recovered from runaway oxygen pollution, snowball conditions, super volcanoes, asteroid strikesÖ Itíll recover from industrial humans.
4) In the short run, for any humans who make it through, itís going to matter a lot. How we make it through the chaos might determine whether we survive as a species: I do think the current population of billions could crash badly enough to bring us into the danger zone of stochastic extinction (extinction of a small population due to random variations in population parameters). Once the infrastructure starts going, things wonít be pretty. Looting, murder, rape, cholera and other diseases, starvation, forced mass migration, thirst, lack of shelter resulting in exposure to the elements Ė without industrial civilisation, most people from civilised industrial societies are going to die.
5) Guns are one means of defending oneself against the nastier elements that will take advantage of this situation. Those nastier elements will also be using guns, and thus decent people who are unarmed will be pushed to the wall.
6) Guns alone mean nothing. A single person with a gun will be targeted while they are sleeping, for their weapon. Firearms (and other weapons) are really only useful when used by a group of people who look out for each other.
7) Guns should only be a temporary measure, to coerce those clinging to the runaway wreck of a freight train our civilisation has become to dismantle, or to aid survival during a chaotic transition period. In the long run, they are the products of an unsustainable technological base, and developed from a mindset that has no place in a sustainable world. For those who think Iím talking pacifist, Iím not. Iím saying that any fool can kill, at long range, with a gun. The weapon breeds thugs. It takes much more training and skill to do so with an arrow. It gives societies a better chance of making warriors. Nukes and landmines? Weapons for psychopaths.
I think you people are too busy "dismantling" minds. Why dont' you spend your time on more constructive things, like getting out of bed in the morning and going to a real job and getting your hands dirty for once in your life. Leave the people alone. We are sick of having do-gooders like yourselves tell us how to live our lives and making all of our decisions for us regarding OUR personal freedoms and lives. We need firearms to defend ourselves and that will never change. Countries and individuals will ALWAYS have to protect what is rightfully theirs from plunder and evil. That will never change. Haven't been mugged yet? Well, maybe once you have been , you will want a gun to protect yourself too.
Jon from Edmonton
hi there! you folks are interested in groups advocating disarmament? well, have you heard of FOOD NOT BOMBS? i'm sure you have, as there are chapters all over. i am a part of the Edmonton, AB Canada group. If you want to know more about it, come to www.Foodnotbombs.isCool.net. This is our local groups home page... pretty snazzy one, too, if you ask me! To sum us up, we protest violence in all forms, with a focus on the idea that it is incredibly naive for gov'ts to spend money on bombs and guns and ... etc... when there are citizens in the country who lack the basic necessities of life ie food. To show our displeasure, we take food that would otherwise be thrown out by supermarkets as "waste" because of its imperfections and share it with whomever should want some every Saturday, in as public a place as possible. Anyways, check out the site if ya like. I like what i've seen on yours so far. peace jon
Yes - Now I understand! We must dismantle all guns - then melt down all knives - then reposses all pointy sticks and pencils (they are the real threat!!!) - then take posession of all rocks and other projectiles. Why can't they (those rascally conservatives) see the light! We liberals will protect them from themselves!
Oh - and just to be nice (and raise a few bucks for the election coffers) we democraps will turn the other cheek when the Chi-coms steal (ie. buy) valuable nuclear technology. We can trust them - they are liberal too! Weapons are safe in government hands - but you can't trust citizens - its been proven!
Neil and Kelly Connolly
THE OPPOSITE OF WAR IS NOT PEACE.........THE OPPOSITE OF WAR IS SLAVERY ..........PEACE CAN ONLY BE ACHIEVED THROUGH SUPERIOR FIRE POWER....... BE IT DEFENDING OUR NATION, STREETS OR HOMES....... CRIMINALS, BE THEY POLITICAL OR COMMON SCUM, ARE BY THEIR VERY NATURE, COWARDS......... POINT A GUN AT THEM AND THEY WET THEIR PANTS.... KILL THEM IN SELF DEFENSE AND THE WORLD IS A SAFER PLACE....
Phil Knight -
Guns aren't all bad. They killed Hitler, didn't they? If someone breaks into my house, I won't hesitate to fill his life with lead. As for nuclear weapons, they can go for all I care. Have a good day.