There is one dismantlement that is more important even than population, and that's the dismantlement of SELF INTEREST. This dismantlement requires no environment ministers or parliamentary bills to enact, nor gestapo police to enforce.
It is, after all, we who are responsible for everything that is negative and destructive in the world. And we have as much power to change ourselves as we have to change our clothes - if only we knew what to wear.
Just remember this:
- Cars don't drive themselves.
- Elephants and rhinos don't kill themselves in order that we may buy and sell ivory knick-knacks.
- Furry animals don't divest themselves willingly of their skins in order to line the pockets of furriers and the wardrobes of the unaware.
- Sperms don't impregnate eggs without people putting them there first.
- Illegal CFCs don't continue to attack the ozone layer without our connivance.
- The empty, dirty tanks of oil tankers don't flush themselves out illegally at sea to pollute our coasts and beaches without somebody having a hand in it.
- You get the idea...the list is endless.
Selfish acts - in both large and small measure - take place every nanosecond. Add them all together, and you get a tidal wave of destruction and negativity that threatens human life as we know it (in the developed world, anyway). What's more, it's a wave that gets bigger, and brings our end ever closer, the more of us are put on the planet. We CAN reduce the magnitude of this wave. But only if we begin to dismantle NOW the seemingly trivial, insignificant, everyday acts of selfishness we all engage in.
Just remember the rules of amplification: If YOU are tossing that bit of plastic on the ground, so too are millions of other people all over the world. This rule applies to EVERYTHING.